Whiting Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  046539
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 22 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Whiting, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. Halls Mills post office opened on 6 July 1915 and closed on 30 May 1918.
2. Plantation 12 post office [in ?] was renamed in 1818 as Orangetown post office, which was renamed in 1826 (18 April or 3 May?) as Whiting post office, which is still operatinng.
In 1914, there was only one post office in the town of Whiting: Whiting. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Whiting include:
Halls Mills
Orangetown
Whiting



Whiting

1826 (April 18 or May 3?):
   The former Orangetown post office was renamed as Whiting post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1830 September 27
   Manuscript postmark. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1831 April 11
   Manuscript postmark. (notation; letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1934 June 3
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Whiting post office is still in operation.