Milbridge Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Milbridge, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Milbridge post offices was established on 2 September 1850 and is still operating.
2. Narraguagus post office was established on 1 October 1794 and on 8 December 1870 was renamed as Cherryfield post office.
3. Wyman post office operated from 4 June 1901 until 30 June 1905.


In 1914, there were two post offices in the town of Milbridge: Milbridge and Cherryfield. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Milbridge include:
Milbridge
Narraguagus
Wyman



Milbridge

1850 September 2:
   Milbridge post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1852:
   Postmaster: George Googin. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1939 December 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1950 June 30:
   Last day of "Millbridge" spelling. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1950 July 1:
   First day of "Milbridge" spelling. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   The Milbridge post office is still in operation.



Narraguagus

1794 October 1:
   Narraguagus post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1829 October 24:
   Manuscript postmark. (letter - top; letter - bottom)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1838 November 12:
      The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1843 June 14:
      The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter; notation)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1852:
   Postmaster: J. G. Sanborn. (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1870 December 8:
   Narraguagus post office was renamed as Cherryfield post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)