Eastport Postal History
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 10 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the city of Eastport, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Eastport post office opened on 1 July 1802 and is still operating.
2. Quoddy post office was established on 22 January 1902, but it never opened. Its authorization was rescinded on 29 March 1902.
3. Quoddy Sta. Easport post office’s earliest known postmark is 1935, and its latest known use is 29 April 1943.


In 1914, there was only one post office in Eastport: Eastport. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.



Postmarks from the city of Eastport include:
Eastport
Quoddy
Quoddy Sta. Eastport


Eastport


1802 July 1:
   Eastport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1849 January 19:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1849 September 5:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1851 May 24:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. (letter; notation)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1910 September 28 through 1910 October 25: [years from contents]
   The circular postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1948 April 25:
   The circular postmark is 20–21 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2000 August 31:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 17 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Eastport post office is still in operation.