Cooper
Washington County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 9 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from Roland Simard.



During the history of the town of Cooper, there have been three post offices.

Briefly, the history of these three is as follows:
1. Cedar post office opened on 22 April 1908 and closed on 15 January 1935.
2. Cooper (1) post office opened on 7 December 1827, closed on 31 JULY 1904, re-opened 11 October 1907, and closed 30 November 1944.
3. Grove post office opened on 4 August 1894 and was renamed on 5 June 1907 as Cooper (2) post office. This was renamed on 27 December 1907 as Grove post office. which closed on 30 November 1926, re-opened on 12 October 1928, and closed on a date to be determined by research.


In 1914, there were three post offices in what is now the town of Cooper: Cedar. Cooper (1). and Grove. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Cooper include:
Cedar
Cooper (1)
Cooper (2)
Grove



Cedar


1908 April 22:
   Cedar post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1932 May 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1935 January 15:
   Cedar post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Cooper (1)


1827 December 27:
   Cooper (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1891 November 28:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1904 July 31:
   Cooper (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 October 11:
   Cooper (1) post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1938 April 13:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1944 November 30:
   Cooper (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Grove


1894 August 4:
   Grove post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 June 5:
   Grove post office was renamed as Cooper (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 December 27:
   The former Cooper (2) post office was renamed as Grove post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1926 November 30:
   Grove post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1928 October 12:
   Grove post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 February 23:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal lines to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

date?:
   Grove post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)