Burnham Postal History
Waldo County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 9 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Burnham include:
Burnham (1)
Burnham (2)
Burnham Village
East Burnham
Winnecook



Burnham (2)


1894 February 10:
   The former Burnham Village post office renamed as Burnham (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1933 March 10:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      

1939 December 11:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      

1949 August 23 through 1950 February 1:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
         

today:
   Burnham (2) post office is still in operation.


Burnham Village

1835 August 12:
   Burnham Villge post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1847–1852:
   Postmaster: D. L. Milliken (source: Maine Register and State Reference Book. 1852.)

1847 April 6: [date and place of origin determined from contents]
   Free franked by postmaster D. L. Milliken; (letter)
      

1894 February 10:
   Burnham Village post office renamed as Burnham (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)