Thank you for the contributions to this page from Roland Simard and from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Richmond, there have been five post offices.
Briefly, the history of these five is as follows:
1. Dresden Campground post office operated from 1902 to 1923.
2. Iseboro post office operated from 23 April 1882 to 31 May 1905.
3. Richmond (1) post office opened on 25 April 1823 and was renamed on 13 October 1842 as Richmond Corner post office, which closed on 31 October 1952.
4. Richmond Campground post office opened on 28 July 1880, closed on 29 August 1887, re-opened on 20 June 1889, and closed on 15 May 1923.
5. Richmondville post office opened on 14 January 1829, closed on 2 June 1830, re-opened on 16 April 1832, and was renamed as Richmond (2) post office, which is still operating.
In 1914, there were four post offices in what is now the town of Richmond: Dresden Campground, Richmond Campground, Richmond Corner, and Richmond (2). Dresden Camp Ground post office was reported to have been open in 1914 by The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide, but it is not shown on the 1914 map of Maine post routes. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.