Abbot Postal History
Piscataquis County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 8 May 2019)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Abbot, there have been four post offices.
Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Abbot post office operated from 3 September 1825 until 15 December 1912.
2. Abbot Village post office was established on 27 July 1861 and is still operating.
3. Cole post office operated from 19 July 1893 until 15 May 1903.
4. Number 7 post office opened in 1825(?) and closed in 1827(?). Research is needed
In 1914, there was only one post office in Abbot: Abbot Village. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Abbot include:
1861 July 27:
Abbot Village post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1916 March 1:
The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
1939 December 11:
The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
1949 August 3 through 1950 August 9:
The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter. The elliptical cancellation to the right of the circle is approximately 25 mm tall and is composed of 9 equally spaced horizontal bars.
Abbot Village post office is still in operation.