Milford Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - 167 Thorne Mountain Road - Canton, Maine  04221
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 17 November 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Milford include:
Costigan
Milford
North Milford (1)
Sunkhaze



Costigan

1887 October 31:
   The former North Milford post office was renamed as Costigan post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 May 9:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter.
      

1956 October 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
      

1990 October:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter.
      

today:
   Costigan post office is still in operation.


Milford

1834 March 3:
   Milford post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1887 December 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      

1896 April 21: [year determined from reverse]
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
      

1939 December 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter.
      

1944 December 8:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      

1947 July 14:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      

today:
   Milford post office is still in operation.