Bradford Postal History
Penobscot County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 8 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Bradford include:
Blakesburg (1)
Blakesburg (2)
Bradford
Bradford Center
East Bradford
North Bradford



Bradford

1832 June 8:
   Bradford post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1909 December 18
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 13–14 mm.
      

1939 December 14
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      

1949 December 5 through 1950 March 11:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter.
         

1956 October 22 [year determined from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 19 mm.
      

today:
   Bradford post office is still in operation.


Bradford Center

1877 November 12:
   Bradford Center post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1944 January 26:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      

1956 October 23:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1957 September 6:
   Bradford Center post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


North Bradford

1853 September 23:
   The former South Orneville post office was renamed as North Bradford post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1905 July:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      

1924 March 15:
   North Bradford post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)