Oxford County, Maine
a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine 04653
(updated 12 April 2019)
Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of Woodstock, there have been four post offices.
Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Bryant Pond post office was established on 3 January 1852 and is still operating. The name was changed from Bryants Pond to Bryant Pond on 1 November 1893.
2. North Woodstock post office operated fro 5 April 1847 until 30 August 1902.
3. South Woodstock post office operated from 28 December 1874 until 30 August 1902.
4. Woodstock post office opened in 1817(?), closed at a date to be researched, re-opened 8 June 1824, closed 18 October 1855, re-opened 14 December 1855, and closed 20 October 1873.
In 1914, there was only the Bryant Pond post office in the town of Woodstock. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.
Postmarks from the town of Woodstock include:
1852 January 3:
Bryants Pond post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
Postmaster: Ezra Jewell. (source: Maine Register, and State Reference Book. 1852.)
1889 May 10:
The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
1893 November 1:
Name changed from Bryants Pond to Bryant Pond. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)
1894 June 8 through 1895 October 26:
The circular postmark is approximately 23 mm in diameter.
1908 July 3:
The circular postmark is approximately 31 mm in diameter. (image side of card)
1934 February 13:
The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
Bryant Pond post office is still in operation.