Sumner Postal History
Oxford County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine&#nbsp;&#nbsp;04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 25 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Sumner, there have been four post offices.

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Barrett post office, a summer office, opened on 17 June 1901 through 28 February 1907.
2. Redding post office, a summer office, operated from 20 January 1899 through 30 May 1942.
3. Sumner (1) post office opened on 21 June 1811 and closed on 30 April 1935 (see last day postmark below).
4. West Sumner post office was established on 6 April 1833 and in 1996 was renamed as Sumner (2) post office, which is still operating.
In 1914, there were three post offices in what is now Sumner: Redding, Sumner (1), and West Sumner. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Sumner include:
Barrett
Redding
Sumner (1)
Sumner (2)
West Sumner



Barrett

1901 June 17:
   Barrett post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1906 January 1:
   Post card received in Barrett and handstamped on New Year's Day. The circular receiving postmark is approximately 29 mm in diameter. The pairs of horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 4 mm apart on center. The circular postmark that ties the stamp to the post card has both the number of the day (1) and the unit's digit of the year (6) upside down.
      

1907 February 28:
   Barrett post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Sumner (1)

1811 June 21:
   Sumner (1) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1935 April 1 through 1935 April 30 (last day for this postmark):
   Circular postmark is 31–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
         

1935 April 30:
   Sumner (1) post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)