Oxford
Oxford County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 12 April 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Oxford include:
East Oxford
Oxford (1)
Oxford (2)
Welchville



Oxford (2)


1831 March 3:
   Oxford (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1884 July 17:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      

1913 August 6 through 1914 March 17
   The circular postmark is 28–30 mm in diameter.
         

1934 October 5:
   The circular postmark is 30–31 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1949 August 17 through 1950 March 25:
   The circular postmark is 29–31 mm in diameter.
         

1950 October 16:
   The circular postmark is 35–36 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18 mm.
      

today:
   Oxford (2) post office is still in operation.


Welchville


1842 October 21:
   The former East Oxford post office was renamed as Welchville post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1916 September 19:
   The circular postmark is 30–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 16–17 mm.
      

1957 July 31:
   Welchville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)