Canton Postal History
Oxford County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 21 March 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Canton, there have been four post offices. Because two of these four bore (at different times) the name Canton in their postmarks, they are designated below as Canton (1) and Canton (2).

Briefly, the history of these four is as follows:
1. Jay Point post office (established 1817 October 9) became Canton (1) post office on 1821 May 15. It then became Canton Point post office on 1864 February 24 and remained so unti it closed on 1940 January 31.
2. North Hartford post office (established 1825 January 28) became Canton Mills post office on 1842 August 4. It then became Canton (2) post office on 1864 February 24 and remains in operation.
3. Gilbertville post office was established on 1881 December 20 and then closed on 1909 November 30. It re-opened on 1911 September 23 and closed on 1933 February 15.
4. Meadowview post office was established on 1902 September 22 and closed on 1909 August 14.


In 1914 there were three post offices in Canton: Canton (2), Gilbertville, and Canton Point. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Canton include:
Canton (1)
Canton (2)
Canton Mills Canton Point Gilbertville Meadowview



Canton (1)

1821 May 15:
   Jay Point post office (which opened 1817 October 9) became Canton post office, here called Canton (1) to distinguish it from what would become another post office with a “Canton” cancellation—Canton (2) below. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1852:
   Postmaster: John Hersey

1864 February 24:
   Canton (1) post office became Canton Point post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Canton (2)

1864 February 24:
   Canton (2) post office so-designated from former Canton Mills name. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

date?:
building at far left, along south side of Main Street:
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1908 March 31:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1932 October 4 through 1938 August 22:
   The circular postmark is 28–29 mm in diameter.
         
      Click on an image to enlarge.

1965 September 8:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

2015 November 6:
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Canton (2) post office is still in operation.


Canton Mills

1842 August 4:
   North Hartford post office (which opened 1825 January 28) became Canton Mills post office (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1852:
   Postmaster: Andrew Barrows

1864 February 24:
   Canton Mills post office became Canton (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Canton Point

1864 February 24:
   The former Canton (1) post office became Canton Point post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1940 January 31:
   This was mailed on the day that the Canton Point post office closed. The circular postmark is 32–32 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars at the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm apart on center.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1940 January 31:
   Canton Point post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Gilbertville

1881 December 20:
   Gilbertville post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1909 November 30:
   Gilbertville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1911 September 23:
   Gilbertville post office reopened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1933 February 6:
   This was mailed just 9 days before the Gilbertville post office closed. The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1933 February 15:
   Gilbertville post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Meadowview

1902 September 22:
   Meadowview post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1909 August 14:
   Meadowview post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)