Southport Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 15 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Southport include:
Capitol
Capitol Island
Capitol Island CPO Boothbay Harbor
Capitol Island Rur. Sta. Boothbay Harbor
Mouse Island
Newagen
Newagen CPO West Southport
Southport
Southport Rur. Br. Boothbay Harbor
Squirrel Island
Squirrel Island Rur. Br Boothbay Harbor
Squirrel Island CPO Boothbay Harbor
Townsend
West Southport



Capitol


1898 April 7:
   Capitol post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1941 June 16:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18 mm.
      

1941 July 1:
   Capitol post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Capitol Island


1941 July 1:
   Capitol Island post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1942 August 26:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1960 May 31:
   Capitol Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Newagen


1900 April 24:
   Newagen post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1936 August 24:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 20–21 mm.
      

1950 January 10:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1996 March 31:
   Newagen post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Southport


1851 January 17:
   Southport post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1852 August 30:
   Southport post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1855 March 9:
   Southport post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

188- December 9:
   The circular postmark is approximately 24 mm in diameter.
      

1934 August:
   The circular postmark is approximately 32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 14 mm.
      

1963 June 21:
   Southport post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Squirrel Island


1872 June 11:
   Squirrel Island post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1873 March 3:
   Squirrel Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1880 April 9:
   Squirrel Island post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1925 August 1:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm. (image side of card)
      

1936 August 27:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1949 through 1950 July 25:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter.
         

1957 May 16:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1957 May 16:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter; the inner, 18–19 mm.
      

1965 September 22:
   The circular postmark is 32–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19–20 mm.
      

1967 June 18:
   Squirrel Island post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)