Jefferson Postal History
Lincoln County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 7 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Jefferson include:
Benner
Bunker Hill
Dyers
East Jefferson
Fish Lake
Jefferson (1)
Jefferson (2)
North Jefferson
Pleasant Pond (1)
South Jefferson
West Jefferson



East Jefferson


1871 October 11:
   East Jefferson post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1893 April 10: [year determined from reverse side]
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      

1905 August 9:
   East Jefferson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)


Jefferson (2)


1905 August 9:
   Jefferson (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1906 September 6:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 14–15 mm.
      

1939 December 12:
   The circular postmark is 32–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is 18–19 mm.
      

1948 December 29:
   The circular postmark is 31–32 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 18 mm.
      

1950 December 5:
   The circular postmark is approximately 33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      

today:
   Jefferson (2) post office is still in operation.


South Jefferson


1832 June 22:
   South Jefferson post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1846 March 23:
   South Jefferson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1854 August 5:
   South Jefferson post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1872 March 15:
   South Jefferson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1872 August 19:
   South Jefferson post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)

1934 April 23:
   The circular postmark is 33–33 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four bars to the right of the circle is 19 mm.
      

1934 May 15:
   South Jefferson post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide)