Thomaston
Knox County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - 167 Thorne Mountain Road - Canton, Maine  04221
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 31 October 2019)


Thank you for the contriutions to this page from Roland Simard and from the Strout family collection.



During the history of the town of Thomaston, there have been two post offices.

Briefly, the history of these two is as follows:
1. South Thomaston post office was established on 19 February 1845 and is still operating.
2. Thomaston post office opened on 7 October 1777, closed in the Fall of 1778, re-opened on 1 October 1794, and is still operating.


In 1914, there were two post offices in what is now the town of Thomaston: South Thomaston and Thomaston. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.




Postmarks from the town of Thomaston include:
South Thomaston
Thomaston



South Thomaston


1845 February 19:
   South Thomaston post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1907 January 28:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter. The distance between the pairs of horizontal lines is approximately 33 mm. (image on reverse)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   South Thomaston post office is still in operation.


Thomaston


1777 October 7:
   Thomaston post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1778 Fall:
   Thomaston post office closed. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1794 October 1:
   Thomaston post office re-opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1845 April 17:
   The circular postmark is 29–30 mm in diameter. (letter)
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

186- June:
   The outer circle of the postmark is 25–26 mm in diameter; the inner, 13 mm.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

year June 6:
   The circular postmark is approximately 28 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1910 March 24:
   The circular postmark is 27–28 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1939 December 4:
   The circular postmark is approximately 30 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

1941 August 20:
   The circular postmark is approximately 20 mm in diameter.
      
      Click on image to enlarge.

today:
   Thomaston post office is still in operation.