Chelsea
Kennebec County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 13 April 2019)


Thank you for the contriutions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Chelsea include:
Chelsea
National Military Asylum
National Military Home
National Soldier’s Home Br. Augusta
Powers
Togus
Togus Br. Augusta
Togus Mills
Togus Springs
Veteran’s Administration Home Br. Augusta



Chelsea


1882 May 12:
   Chelsea post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1895 January:
   The circular postmark is 26–27 mm in diameter.
      

1901 April 30:
   Chelsea post office closed. Note: a postmark of 1907 January 19 has been reported. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)


Togus


1879 October 13:
   The former National Military Home post office became renamed as Togus post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1894 June 1 through 1894 September 7:
   The circular postmark is 22–23 mm in diameter.
         

1908 February 18:
   Togus post office became named as National Soldiers Home post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)