Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.
During the history of the town of what is now Bar Harbor, there have been seven post offices.
Briefly, the history of these seven is as follows:
1. Bar Harbor post office was established on 18 April 1835, closed on 28 November 1836, and re-opened on 9 November 1838. On 1 June 1853, it was renamed as East Eden (2) post office. This was renamed as Bar Harbor post office on 9 June 1873 and is still operating.
2. East Eden (1) post office was established on 9 August 1850 and was renamed on 1 February 1851 as Salisbury Cove post office. Salisbury Cove post office closed on 31 January 1914, re-opened 29 April 1914, closed 15 October 1915, re-opened 13 December 1919, and is still operating.
3. Eden post office opened on 12 March 1821 and closed on 30 March 1920.
4. Hulls Cove post office opened on 12 August 1887 and is still operating.
5. Indian Point post office operated from 12 April 1883 until 17 January 1929.
6. U.S. Naval Radio Station Otter Creek post office operated during a period to be researched.
7. West Eden post office operated from 3 August 1853 until 14 January 1911.
In 1914, there were four post offices in what is now Bar Harbor: Bar Harbor, Eden, Hulls Cove, and Indian Point. (source: Post Route Map of the State of Maine 1914)
Click on image to enlarge.