Pownal Postal History
Cumberland County, Maine

a service of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 55 - Bass Harbor, Maine  04653
info@vfthomas.com

(updated 1 May 2019)


Thank you for the contributions to this page from the Strout family collection.



Postmarks from the town of Pownal include:
North Pownal
Pownal (1)
Pownal (2)
West Pownal



Pownal (2)


1927 May 1:
   Pownal (2) post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1934 November 13:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The four horizontal bars to the right of the circle are approximately 6 mm on center.
      

1939 November 25:
   The circular postmark is 33–34 mm in diameter. The outside vertical height of the four horizontal bars to the right of the circle is approximately 20 mm.
      

today:
   Pownal (2) post office is still in operation.


West Pownal


1853 December 13:
   West Pownal post office opened. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)

1892 July 19:
   The circular postmark is approximately 27 mm in diameter.
      

1927 May 1:
   West Pownal post office renamed as Pownal (2) post office. (source: Maine Philatelic Society. 1995. The Post Offices of Maine: A Rarity Guide.)