Deeds of Mount Desert Island
Peters Plan - F21

a project of
V. F. Thomas Co. - P. O. Box 84 - Hulls Cove, Maine  04644

(updated 11 June 2016)

When the Hancock County Trustees of Public Reservations presented more than 6000 acres to the United States of America on 10 June 1916 (568:509–521), the land to become the Sieur de Monts National Monument and ultimately Acadia National Park, the description of the land started with "Beginning at a large hemlock tree". Nearly 125 years earlier, in March of 1792, this hemlock tree marked the southwest corner of the parcel conveyed to Humphrey Stanwood by Bartholomy and Maria Theresa DeGregoire (1:376–377 below).

   Date: 2[8?] March 1792
   Town: Bar Harbor
   Grantors: Bartholomy DeGregoire and Maria Theresa DeGregoire
   Grantee: Humphrey Stanwood
   Description: 100 acres
      Beginning at a birch tree that stands at the southeast corner of Solomon Higgins' lot, the bounds between him and Humphrey Stanwood;
      run first due S 240 rods;
      then due W 80 rods to a hemlock tree;
      then due N 162 rods to a fir tree;
      then N 45° E to the first mentioned bounds.
   Note: Humphrey Stanwood used this parcel as collateral for a loan from Jeremiah Stevens (11 October 1821; 42:57–58). The loan was discharged on 15 June 1825 (65:186–187).
   Grantors obtained this parcel via: grant from the General Court of Massachusetts
   Grantee disposed of this parcel via ???:???

- - - - -